Charitable Giving Strategies for the Business Owner
If you hold stock in a closely held business, you may be able to use that stock as a powerful way to support our future.
Closely held stock* is most often used to support our work in the form of an outright gift. You can make a gift of closely held stock as long as the constituting documentation for the business permits additional owners and it is debt-free. The donation of closely held stock first requires you to value the interest in the business entity.
Review this checklist to see if you may benefit from donating closely held stock. Then, consult your professional legal and tax advisors to see how to maximize the benefits of this tax-efficient strategy for making a difference.
Evaluate Whether This Gift Is Right for You:
- You are a majority shareholder in a closely held corporation.
- You would like to remove retained earnings from the corporation, without having them taxed again.
- You would like to maintain a controlling position in the corporation's outstanding stock.
- You would like to avoid capital gains taxes on the shares you donate to Mayo Clinic.
- You would like to receive a federal income tax deduction for the full appraised value of the gift.
- You would like to support our mission.
Click on the links below to see the additional ways to fund your gift with closely held stock:
- A gift in your will or living trust.
- A charitable gift annuity.
- A charitable remainder trust.
- A charitable lead trust.
*A gift of closely held stock requires special handling, so you should always consult with your legal or tax advisor first.
Get Your Free Guide
You can make a big difference with just a little effort by including a gift to benefit Mayo Clinic your will or living trust. Learn more in our free kit Transforming Care With a Gift to Mayo Clinic.
Not Sure How to Begin Planning?
This comprehensive estate planning kit will help you protect loved ones, organize everything in on place and save on taxes.Download My Kit
- Contact the Mayo Clinic Office of Gift Planning at 800-297-1185 or email@example.com for additional information on giving a gift of closely held stock.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include Mayo Clinic in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal name: Mayo Clinic
Address: 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905
Federal tax ID number: 41-6011702